1 nov 2013

Testing Froglube part 1



Just a few days before the annual weapons inspection I took the liberty to give my issued carbine, a FN FNC M3, a final cleaning session and thought it was a good time to do this using Froglube. I know there are a bunch of reviews out there on the net so I’m not going to repeat everything that has been said at least a hundred times. I’m just going to write down my personal experience with this so called “revolutionary” product.

The first thing you’ll notice when opening the product is the green looking substance and a nice minty smell. The smell is also comparable with the reflex sprays  found at the local pharmacist.  I also had the Froglube “solvent” with me to try out. The solvent, which comes in a spray,  is a completely different product compared to the green Froglube products, being color- and odorless. It almost acts and looks like water.

So I started off with my first test of Froglube. I have to be honest, I’m not a freak when it comes down to super cleaning my weapons. Even the most experienced weapons cleaner will always come to the conclusion that even when his or her weapon is perfectly cleaned, after a week or so, he or she will still  find traces of dirt and carbon released after the gun has sweat for a while.


For the first step of the product application instructions, “preparing your weapon”, it is advised to get rid of all oil based clp’s (Cleaning, Lubricating, (rust)Prevention) using the Froglube solvent. I sprayed a generous amount of solvent especially in the places where normally the grease would be applied. The solvent does what it is supposed to do. After wiping it clean I was left over with a “dry” weapon. Then I started to warm some of the pieces like the bolt, boltholder, gas piston, … with a hairdryer. Froglube is best applied when the metal of the gunparts are handwarm. Apparently the microscopic pores in metal become larger when warm thus giving the Froglube more adherents to the metal. After applying the Froglube I wiped of the excess with a microfiber cloth and I can assure you there was still quite a lot of dirt/carbon that came off.

For cleaning and protecting your weapon you can both use the paste and liquid version. The paste is ideal for applying on bigger surfaces and the liquid is good for all the little crannies but also for lubricating the moving parts en slides. After applying the green CLP, all the metal parts are silky to the touch. It’s like a smooth protection layer but without a greasy film. I even used Froglube on the plastic pistol grip and handguards giving a nice satin finish.  


My first impression of Froglube is very good. It applies very efficiently and really cleans your weapon parts without leaving a greasy mess. As it is an all natural, non-toxic, environmental friendly product you don’t need any gloves to protect your hands whilst cleaning, compared to all other oil based CLP and chemical degreasers. Froglube even claims you could eat their products … But that’s for next time.

Lets hope the inspection goes smooth ;-)

You can buy Froglube at http://www.froglube.be
Use “contact-front” for a 10% discount.

ps: I even gave my Leatherman MUT a cleaning session with Froglube

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten